Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Recovery Act One

This blog site is going to involve my journey to recovery after heart surgery. I would like to someday be able to run a 5K if I am cleared to run/jog by my cardiologist...I am not sure what the time frame would be from my current status to being able to run/jog again. About eight months ago I had worked myself up to jogging 2 to 3 miles at a very slow pace, and in the process had lost about 30 pounds. Then some heart problems started and to make a long story short, I had open heart surgery to fix a congenital heart defect which manifested itself at age 50. Currently, I am walking in the house about 5 minutes at a time about 5 to 6 times a day. I am going up and down the stairs about 1 time a day. Yes, it is tiring to do this amount of activity for now, and with each walk episode I dream of the day when I am fully recovered and can walk/jog a mile at a time. My motto for now is "one step at a time".

4 comments:

TB said...

Congratulations Rachie on starting your blog! I hope that you enjoy this way of journaling and that your trail to recovery encounters new acquaintances, interesting stops, and the path is always open ahead. My thoughts, prayers, and energy is with you my dear sis.

Cynthia said...

Go Raffie go! I'm reminded of that old saying, "A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step." You've already taken the first steps - so you are on your way.

I like your determination!

John O said...

You are the real Wonder Woman! These are powerful times these days and you are a strength.

Rita said...

Oh, my dear friend, you are such an inspiration to me! Remember that Jesus is with you each step of the way as well. This is soo cool - I will see you soon!