Sunday, March 21, 2010
Bloopers
I am going to share some funny little incidents that happened during my recovery during the Phase I. I now consider myself in the Phase II, ever since I returned to w---, the four letter word that I just can't make myself say. During the Phase I, the first week home from the hospital, my precious, most sweetest mother came to my home and nursed me, cooked meals, cleaned up the activities of daily living, and organized my cupboards, which she loves to do. Believe me the cupboards looked 100% better after she was done with her organization skills, being neat, clean and labeled. Yes, she likes to label everything. But her nursing me was invaluable to my survival, and I am forever grateful. I believe it was day 5, when I was up walking in the kitchen, where she was busy organizing the cupboards that I walked past her, and low and behold, she let out a "YELP" and thumped me on the chest with quite a forceful thump, and then before I could respond, she thumped me again, 2 in a row in rapid succession. She excitedly exclaimed that a black spider was walking across my chest, and she forgot that I had just had open heart surgery, while going after that spider and ending its life. Afterwards, she felt so bad that she had hit me in the surgical area, almost to the point of tears. I tried to console her, but I know that she felt so very bad, but her instincts for getting that spider had overwritten all else. Just to let you know Mom, I still think that you are the best Mom in the world. Then week 2 after my Mom left, my most wonderful, lovely sister came to stay and take over the nursing of me. The first night when she was coming over to the recliner chair (I slept in the recliner for about 1 month) to wish me a goodnight, she leaned in and kissed me, and then went for a hudge bear hug. Right before she went in for the final squeeze, I let out a yelp, and she immediately stopped, and said, "What is wrong?" I said, "You nearly squeezed my chest incision to smitherines." Oh, she had forgotten for an instance too, that I had just had surgery. It just was so easy to forget, when instincts took over reason, both for my Mom, and my sister. I survived both incidents, and now we can look back in retrospect and chuckle. The care my Mom and sister gave to me after surgery was the best, and I am eternally grateful for their gift of time and presence during those first two weeks home. All is going well now in Phase II of recovery, and Phase III will be, "Back to Normal." Later my friends and family. Raffie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
When habit kicks in, we just don't think about the unusual. Thank goodness you have a good yelping instinct! Love you sis.
Post a Comment