Sunday, May 23, 2010

My Knees Are Knocking

I don't know about you, but when you start something new, it is scarey.  How can something like making a quilt top table cloth be so insurmountable and scarey.  You've got me on this one...I've been procrastinating now for several weeks.  Today is the day that I am taking the plunge into the world of quilting.  Yikes, it is scarey, but I have my plan in my head, and mostly on paper, so here it is...Commencement.  No turning back.  So I will let you know how it goes.  Today will only involve cutting out the paper patterns and making my "star" which hopefully will look like a sunflower, which will be the main character of my tablecloth quilt.  This star will only be made of srap material today.  I have to finalize my fabric choices and make my fabric purchase after I see how this trial "star" looks.  I want to of course make the star points bright yellows, for the sunflower look, the center will be browns, and the corners bright blues for the sky.  There will be seven sunflower squares, and this will be the theme for the quilt.  Then in between the sunflower squares, I want to have little squares of outdoor colors, yellow sunshine, blue sky, green grass, fields of grain. I will keep you posted on the progress, and of course, my shortcomings of this endeavor.  Now, to compare this to other areas of life...such as exercise...which I am a big fan of--"baby steps" is what  gets one to the finish line.  Later, my friends and family, Raffie.

PS.  The star piece I made today didn't turn out to be that bad.  My measurements were a bit off.  My blocks ended up being about 1/4 inch smaller than I intended, so I guess that I made larger seam allowances than I should have, plus the triangle blocks ended up being too small, my quilter sis informed me that for triangles, you must add like some eighths inches instead.  My intention was to make 2 1/2 inch squares, so I cut out the squares 3 inches to allow for the seam allowance.  For the triangles, I cut out 3 1/4 inch right angle sides, but they ended up being too small, so my sis said I need to make them 3 3/8 inches right angle sides instead, and it should work out.  As you can see, I made the trial run into a hot pad.  I like it.  Raffie.

1 comment:

TB said...

If you didn't tell, no one would know that the final dimensions were smaller than intended. It's a lovely hot pad.